In preparing for your ceremony, there are a number of legal requirements that you will need to satisfy. However, do not be overly concerned as I am able to assist you with all the relevant paperwork.
Your legal obligations include:
- You need to complete and lodge your Notice of Intended Marriage with me. This form must be lodged with your celebrant at least one clear month before your wedding date.
- In Australia you must be 18 years or over to be legally married.
- If you are an Australian citizen, you must produce your birth certificates. If you are born overseas and not an Australian citizen, your passport from your country of birth.
- If either of you have been previously married you must provide your Certificate of Divorce/Decree Absolute papers, and/or if either of your spouses are deceased you must produce the Death Certificate. All certificates must be the original copy, photocopies are unacceptable. If the certificates are not in English, the documents must be translated by NAATI accredited translators.
- You must both sign a Declaration stating that there is no legal impediment to your marriage. I will provide and witness your signatures on this document.
- On your wedding day you will need two (2) witnesses over the age of 18 who have witnessed and understood the ceremony.